[Gc] Desperately needing GC 7.1

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Tue Dec 18 02:13:25 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 10:02 PM,  <Manuel.Serrano at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> Indeed, the current stable version, the version 7.0 which is 6 months old
> as a severe problem:

Note that that predates Leopard.

>  IT IS KNOWN NOT TO COMPILE ON RECENT MACOS X VERSION (LEOPARD).
>
> This is a dramatic because it means that all the softwares that relies
> on the GC no longer compiles on that platform. This would not be such a
> problem if MacOS X was an obscure platform hardly used but today it is
> a MAJOR problem...
>
> I know that some patches exist. I know that the current CVS version
> most likely fixes this small problem. However, it is NOT POSSIBLE to
> rely on a CVS version for releasing a STABLE software!

It's entirely possible to use a CVS version for a 3rd party stable
release.  All you have to do is note the version of each file.  True,
it would be easier with subversion, which has a global version number,
but it's certainly possible with CVS.

If you asked nicely, Hans could probably even put a suitable tag on an
appropriate set of file versions for you.  Especially if you gave him
the appropriate set of commands.  (I am not implying that I'm creating
any obligation on Hans' part to do this)

> Hence, we (I allow myself to switch from _I_ to _we_ because I cannot
> imagine that I'm the only one facing this problem) need milestones. We
> need at some point the GC to be stabilized and official releases
> produced. We don't need these versions to contain all the patches that
> have been submitted. We only need something that evolves with our new
> hardware and new OSes.

No one has any right to demand anything from volunteers writing free
and open software.

If it doesn't work for you, you're free to fix it.  If you don't have
the skills to fix it then you're free to pay someone who does.

For your information, I just downloaded gc-7.0.tar.gz on my Core2 Duo
MacBook Pro running Leopard and typed "./configure;make;make check"
and it built fine and passed the tests.

Regards,
Bruce