[Gc] Mentality of c/c++ programmers when it comes to gc

Achilleas Margaritis axilmar at otenet.gr
Fri Dec 21 04:53:56 PST 2007

Hi.

I've been talking with various c/c++ programmers over the globe about
the benefits of garbage collection...90% of the people I've talked with
are negative to using gc. They propose memory pools or reference
counting as the solution to memory management problems.

The amazing thing is that, although I show to them cases where their
approach can lead to problems, they still deny its usefulness.

Anyway, that's my rant, I apologize for it. Personally, I can't live any
more without garbage collection. It literally transforms c++ from a
language that is complex and difficult to a very simple and elegant
language. Many thanks to the people behind the gc.

Achilleas