[Gc] Re: Mentality of c/c++ programmers when it comes to gc

Shiro Kawai shiro at lava.net
Sun Dec 23 03:49:35 PST 2007

From: Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar at otenet.gr>
Subject: [Gc] Re: Mentality of c/c++ programmers when it comes to gc
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:44:06 +0200

> I think mr Boehm should spend a little time clearing the project up,
> because I suspect many first-timers have been discouraged by its
> state. When you download it for the very first time, it's like being
> blind and in the dark. It took me 3 weeks from start to finish to
> completely understand how to use it, and this was the 3rd time that
> I tried it (previous attempts failed desperately).

I think the main development target is Unix variants.  And on Unixes,
usually it builds quite smoothly (except the occasional required
fix to keep up to the newest OS versions.  Understandable since this
GC library depends on lots of details of each platform it supports.)

I suspect the hands are short to package up and maintain on MS Windows,
so if your main platform is MS (mine isn't), I guess you may help
to make it in shape.  You may also be able to contribute how-to
like documents---the long time users tend to be oblivious where the
first-timers stubmle.  All I remember is that, to me, it just worked,
and the accompanying documentation and comments in the header file
were more than enough to start.  (I do feel that the documentation
is a bit weak in the area of performance tuning and writing your
own customized markers, but that's not what you're talking, right?)

--shiro