[Gc] Re: Do finalizers run at exit?

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Dec 28 15:50:14 PST 2007

Hello Achilleas,

AM> Solved by finalizing objects in graph order, i.e. as Boehm gc does it.

Well this graph order finalization and the fact that objects can get
references again from the finalizer can have very serious preformance
problems. So this should simply not happen. I whished that this
feature had never been implemented before.

I would say a well designed program written with GC in mind should not
do anything then releasing resources like S.M.Ryan's network object
locks.

AM> I agree with you on this and I wish I could magically transfer this
AM> knowledge to 100s of C++ programmers who insist C++ only needs reference
AM> counting and nothing more.

Well you can't teach anything to C++ programmer who think the world needs
C++ anymore. Love D and Eiffel.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com