[Gc] Re: Do finalizers run at exit?

S M Ryan wyrmwif at rawbw.com
Sat Dec 29 14:18:34 PST 2007

On Dec 29, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Achilleas Margaritis wrote:

> Thanks a lot for replying, but my question is still unanswered.
>
> It's not a difficult question, is it? I am just asking why
> finalizers are NOT invoked AT EXIT, while they are INVOKED after a
> COLLECTION.

Because people already using finalisers don't want/don't expect this.
Changing the code at this point would perturb existing correctly
working programs.

If I had to ensure run all finalisers, I would chain everything with
a finaliser and mimic finaliser calls on the chain myself when I
needed it. The finalisable block should know whether it has already
been finalised.