[Gc] Re: Do finalizers run at exit?

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Sat Dec 29 13:59:07 PST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 4:01 AM, Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar at otenet.gr> wrote:

> If you mean the ACM paper, I can not download it with the basic ACM
> subscription. According to the site, I have to purchase a subscription.
>
> Since I am not going to do that, could someone please explain to me why
> finalizers can run after a collection, but not on program exit?

Why did you not say that you hadn't read it?

About 3 seconds with google shows that it is available at HP:

   http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-335.html

There is a saying: "God helps those who help themselves".

>It's not a difficult question, is it? I am just asking why finalizers
>are NOT invoked AT EXIT, while they are INVOKED after a COLLECTION.

Yes, it *is* a difficult question, and not one that can be easily
answered fully in a mailing list posting.  It requires understanding
and subtle thinking.