[Gc] Re: Do finalizers run at exit?

Achilleas Margaritis axilmar at otenet.gr
Mon Dec 31 01:43:30 PST 2007

O/H Bruce Hoult έγραψε:

> On Dec 30, 2007 4:01 AM, Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar at otenet.gr> wrote:
>> If you mean the ACM paper, I can not download it with the basic ACM
>> subscription. According to the site, I have to purchase a subscription.
>>
>> Since I am not going to do that, could someone please explain to me why
>> finalizers can run after a collection, but not on program exit?
>
> Why did you not say that you hadn't read it?
>
> About 3 seconds with google shows that it is available at HP:
>
>    http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-335.html
>
> There is a saying: "God helps those who help themselves".

How am I supposed to know that a paper that I have to pay for to read is
free elsewhere?

>> It's not a difficult question, is it? I am just asking why finalizers
>> are NOT invoked AT EXIT, while they are INVOKED after a COLLECTION.
>
> Yes, it *is* a difficult question, and not one that can be easily
> answered fully in a mailing list posting.  It requires understanding
> and subtle thinking.

Nope, it is not a difficult question. The reply is pretty simple, now
that I understand it:

"Finalizers for all remaining blocks can not run at exit because memory
allocated by the collector can be used by code that runs after the
collector is terminated."