[Gc] inclusion of windows.h

Jim Marshall jim.marshall at wbemsolutions.com
Mon Jul 9 16:36:51 PDT 2007

Boehm, Hans wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> But I guess I don't understand Windows conventions well enough to be
> convinced that either of these are an improvement.
>
> With (1), won't this be a problem if the file incluing gc.h later needs
> a full version of windows.h?
>
> With (2), can't you get a similar effect by defining WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
> and NOSERVICE before including gc.h?  And I think I prefer that, since
> it doesn't risk accidentally not redefining some of the threads
> primitives.  Perhaps the right solution is just to document that
> behavior?

I'll just throw my 2 cents in here. Typically WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN is
sufficient for a large portion of Windows apps, but there is always that
chance that some one will want a feature this disables. I can also say
that at some point, we have the intention of running our product as a
service - I have no idea what affect NOSERVICE has. The point I am, long
windily, making is that I agree with Hans, it should be documented.

-Jim