[Gc] Using the GC w/ common x86 compilers.

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 24 14:24:50 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 12:06 -0500, Dave wrote:
> Bruce Hoult wrote:

> How about the compiler optimization issue (where the optimization
> 'hides' a pointer into the GC heap)? That actually worries me more
> because bugs would be really tough to isolate and recreate.

This issue is more likely to be a library issue than a compiler
issue. For example, a Felix library uses Judy arrays, which are
digital tries (optimised page tables) .. actually it's the Felix
garbage collector. Trie's are useful data structures, but tries
keyed by pointers aren't compatible with Boehm unless you also
provide custom routines to scan them.