[Gc] Faster to not call GC_free?

jim marshall jim.marshall at wbemsolutions.com
Mon Jun 4 20:25:59 PDT 2007

Boehm, Hans wrote:
> I expect the issue here is that Jim is using debug allocation, which
> does store debug information in the object.  There should really be a
> GC_debug_size() and GC_SIZE() that adjust for this.  There currently
> isn't.  There is s a private DEBUG_BYTES macro that's used to allocate
> the object with the extra space.  Thus the definition of GC_debug_size()
> should be fairly trivial.  A patch would be welcome.

You are correct, I probably should have mentioned that - sorry! I'll see
if I can figure out a GC_debug_size, but I'm am (sadly) not that
familiar with the GC code.
> Having said that, I suspect that the overhead of GC_size, plus a
> variable size memset may be starting to approach that of GC_free.  Thus
> I'm not sure this is still a win.

I was wondering that myself but figured I would give it a try. Do you
think setting the ptr to NULL would be enough?  For example if I define
intFree as a macro it would be inline and I could just set it to NULL,
something like

#define intFree(vptr) GC_size(vptr)<=1024?vptr=NULL:GC_FREE(vptr)

At this point I'm just curious, I'll probably just let the code continue
with it's GC_FREE calls. At least for now as we have a release coming up.

Thanks!
> Hans

Jim Marshall
Sr. Staff Engineer