[Gc] Re: gc 7.0alpha9 build failure under Mac OS X 10.3.9

Marius Schamschula marius at physics.aamu.edu
Wed Jun 27 10:40:37 PDT 2007

Hans,

If I hadn't successfully built prior versions of asymptote using gc
6.8 and earlier, I'd say that the problem is with a change in the OS.
However, Mac OS X 10.3.9, including its build tools, has been
unchanged for over two years. The build went normally, i.e. no
unexpected errors (just a long double warning). I just went back and
build gc outside of asymptote, with the same results.

Here is the output from ./configure:

./configure
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking GC version numbers... major=7 minor=0 alpha=9
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
Makefiles... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for thread model used by GCC... posix
configure: WARNING: "Explict GC_INIT() calls may be required."
checking for ppc_thread_state_t.r0... yes
checking for ppc_thread_state_t.__r0... no
checking for ppc_thread_state64_t.r0... yes
checking for ppc_thread_state64_t.__r0... no
checking for xlc... no
checking which machine-dependent code should be used...
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/local/bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/local/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/local/bin/grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 196608
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -p output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... (cached) ar
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if gcc PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... no
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin7.9.0 dyld
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if g++ PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... no
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin7.9.0 dyld
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fno-common
checking if g77 PIC flag -fno-common works... yes
checking if g77 static flag -static works... no
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin7.9.0 dyld
checking sys/dg_sys_info.h usability... no
checking sys/dg_sys_info.h presence... no
checking for sys/dg_sys_info.h... no
checking whether Solaris gcc optimization fix is necessary... no
checking atomic_ops.h usability... no
checking atomic_ops.h presence... no
checking for atomic_ops.h... no
configure: Using internal version of libatomic_ops
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating bdw-gc.pc
config.status: executing default commands
=== configuring in libatomic_ops (/tmp/gc-7.0alpha9/libatomic_ops)
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure '--prefix=/usr/local'  --cache-
file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking target system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking Determining PIC compiler flag... -fPIC
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/atomic_ops/Makefile
config.status: creating src/atomic_ops/sysdeps/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h

On Jun 27, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Boehm, Hans wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> If you could capture any other output, that would be useful.  It's
> also
> generally better to send it to gc at linux.hpl.hp.com, especially since
> most of the MacOS development these days is done by others who read
> that
> list.  (If you don't want to subscribe,  I do still manually go
> through
> the non-subscriber posts, so it will make it eventually.)
>
> I can unfortunately only test on 10.2 with PPC.  I'm pretty sure I did
> check alpha9 there.  But Apple did change the names of some fields in
> (relatively obscure) system interfaces, and it's quite possible
> that we
> got a version test slightly wrong someplace.
>
> Hans

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula,  Alabama A & M University, Department of Physics

     The Center for Hydrology Soil Climatology and Remote Sensing
    http://optics.physics.aamu.edu/ - http://www.physics.aamu.edu/
           http://wx.aamu.edu/ - http://www.aamu.edu/hscars/