[Gc] Thoughts on this deadlock issue?

jim marshall jim.marshall at wbemsolutions.com
Fri Jun 29 13:16:28 PDT 2007

Boehm, Hans wrote:
> [...]
No it isn't happening. We do not mix GC memory and non-GC memory (we've
see how much of a bad idea that is ;) ). What is happening is the shared
objects thread is doing some work at some point it calls a logging
function in our server. We (for various reasons) copy the passed in
message. Mean-while a different thread in this shared object is
attempting to free an object it allocated via malloc (so it is calling
free).  What appears to happen is that we call GC_MALLOC to allocate the
size of the string at the same time this other (NON-GC) thread is
freeing memory. So what appears to happen is that the NON-GC thread is
in the CRT's free function, so it current has the CRT's heap lock.
Meanwhile the GC "appears" to stop the world and call into the CRT as
well were we deadlock.
This is all speculation based on input from another developer. I am
sending him a debug build of the gc and going to get some real stack
traces from him.
> But these aren't quite the symptoms I would have expected.  The GC
> should always get the heap lock (and any other lock it might need)
> before it stops the world.  Thus I'm not sure how a thread could be
> stopped while holding the lock.  The thread doing the stopping should
> have the lock.

I don't think the GC is grabbing the CRT's heap lock before stopping the
world, which is what we think the issue is.

I will get more info.
Thanks
Jim

>> Does this sound plausible (I am basing this off of result
>> from another engineer)?
>> Any thoughts on how to work around it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim