[Gc] Roots observed in GC stack with threads

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Nov 30 17:24:43 PST 2007

The collector usually traces from essentially the entire stack.  The start-up code either uses the address of a local in a very early frame, or the base of the mapping, as the stack base.  Both are a bit too conservative here.  Being more careful here would probably make the code significantly uglier.  And I suspect your case is either an anomaly, or it could be fixed by clearing a particular location at the right time.  That would involve a bit more debuggint to try to understand exactly where that value came from.

Fixing this sort of thing generally isn't a big help.  Petter's suggestion of clearing next pointers in this particular case is likely to be far more robust.

There have been attempts at trying to parse the stack.  The OSX code still does that by default, I think.  But past experience has generally been that it's not 100% solid for all applications.  There will sometimes be an assembly frame somewhere that doesn't quite follow the calling conventions sufficiently.

This particular problem, and ways to identify it, are discussed in some detail in

Boehm, "Bounding Space Usage of Conservative garbage Collectors"

There is code in the collector (-DMAKE_BACK_GRAPH) to detect this sort of problem even if there is no stray pointer in the address space that actually causes extra retention.