[Gc] 7.0 and `GC_REDIRECT_TO_LOCAL'

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sun Oct 21 11:48:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm porting my program, which used GC 6.8, to GC 7.0.  To ensure
thread-local allocation is used, the program did this:

  #define GC_THREADS 1
  #define GC_REDIRECT_TO_LOCAL 1

In <gc/gc.h> in GC 7.0, defining `GC_REDIRECT_TO_LOCAL' leads to the
inclusion of "gc_local_alloc.h":

  #if defined(GC_REDIRECT_TO_LOCAL) && !defined(GC_LOCAL_ALLOC_H)
  #  include  "gc_local_alloc.h"
  #endif

However, "gc_local_alloc.h" is no longer exists.  Thus, shouldn't these
three lines above be removed from "gc.h"?

Also, my understanding of the announcement of GC 7.0 (message ID:
<468A7997.5080103 at wbemsolutions.com>) is that users no longer need to
define `GC_REDIRECT_TO_LOCAL' to use thread-local allocation, which
means that thread-local allocation is available "by default" in
multi-threaded builds.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Ludovic.