[Gc] Signals / EINTR loop

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Aug 8 15:00:05 PDT 2008

> Also, we don't have the problem with pthread_cond_wait, but
> maybe using GC_do_blocking for it as well might improve
> performances when GC needs to stop the world. Would you recommend it ?

It should be useful if you have very large numbers of threads in a smallish heap, and care about GC latency.  Threads inside GC_do_blocking don't need to be stopped by the GC, since they cooperate explicitly.  This avoids sending them signals at GC time.

On the other hand, it clearly will add a bit to the time taken by a condition variable wait.