[Gc] Win32: DLLs and thread registration

Christian Gudrian gn at fluidon.dyndns.info
Thu Feb 7 23:23:58 PST 2008

Hello!

Just a little update:

> 1. GC_CreateThread is mapped back to the original
>    Windows API version by the exports definitions
>    file gc.def.  Why that?  GC_CreateThread thus
>    becomes inaccessible.

Solved.  I have removed the gc.def file completely.

> 2. The DLL does not export GC_register_my_thread,
>    which makes it hard for applications to register
>    their threads manually.  Probably GC_API has been
>    forgotten in the declaration?

Solved.  I have modified the appropriate declarations to include the
GC_API modifier.

> 3. DllMain tests for parallel_initialized==true
>    when called during DLL_THREAD_DETACH.
>    parallel_initialized, however, is always false
>    unless GC_CreateThread (or equivalent) is called.
>    DLL_THREAD_ATTACH neither calls any of them nor
>    registers the newly attached thread since that
>    only happens, when parallel_initialized is true.

Currently I am using a workaround (i.e. ugly hack): at the very
beginning of my programm I once call GC_CreateThread with a dummy thread
procedure which immediately exits.  Thus GC_init_parallel gets called
and everything works fine.  The actual bug is, I think, that
GC_register_my_thread doesn't call GC_init_parallel.

What's also strange: why does win32_threads.c unconditionally make use
of parallel marking (without checking whether PARALLEL_MARK is
#defined)?  Perhaps I should try to #define it myself.  That would make
GC_init_inner call GC_init_parallel and could solve my problem.

I'll try that.

Christian