[Gc] Circular references

Christian Gudrian gn at fluidon.dyndns.info
Wed Feb 27 01:40:39 PST 2008

Aleksey Demakov wrote:

 > There is no need to break circular references for garbage
 > collector to detect garbage.

If had previously defined GC_DEBUG I would have seen the appropriate
finalization warnings in the log file.  However the finalizers do not
run.  Are they supposed to?  The documentation for
GC_register_finalizer() in gc.h is not quite clear to me:

"Any finalizable object that is reachable from itself by following one
or more pointers will not be finalized (or collected)."

To my understanding that says, that doubly linked objects neither get
finalized nor even collected.

Christian