[Gc] Circular references

Christian Gudrian gn at fluidon.dyndns.info
Wed Feb 27 02:11:00 PST 2008

Bruce Hoult wrote:

> Why do you need finalizers?

I (mis)used them as a means to quickly find out whether the object gets
collected at all.  I was unaware of the problems involved.

 > Also, why do you need the list to be doubly linked?

It's a list of control points for a cubic spline.  If one point moves it
has to update the adjacent points' tangents.

> - make either the forward or the backward links into "disappearing links".

Thanks.  That was the mechanism I was referring to in my OP.

> - Do not have a finalizer on the list elements.

I don't.

Christian