[Gc] Linux Programs with gc 7.1 are not LSB compliant.

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Thu Feb 28 04:43:31 PST 2008

Hello,

in "os_dep.c" on Linux the "GC_get_stack_base" function is using
"pthread_getattr_np".

    if (pthread_getattr_np(pthread_self(), &attr) != 0) {
        WARN("pthread_getattr_np failed\n", 0);
        return GC_UNIMPLEMENTED;
    }

The problem with this function is that it is the only function in the
garbage collector that prevents programs from getting a Linux
Standard Base certificate. I tried to make my program LSB 3.2 because
it is the first time that this Standard covers enough interfaces for
desktop applications.

I consider this as an important point for me and my company. And i
think it is in all peoples interest to turn the LSB into a success.
Linux just deserves this.

It just this single statement that prevents it, so can we please add
something like a GC_LSB_COMPLIANT macro.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz              mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com