[Gc] Suggestion for Windows version.

Roger Osborn roger.osborn at linguamatics.com
Fri Feb 29 00:28:53 PST 2008

Hi,

First, as someone new here, I'd like to thank the people who maintain
the list and who answer questions.

We are using Boehm GC  in a program that runs right up to the 2Gb user
memory limit in 32 bit Windows. Because of this we quite often bounce
off the condition where the VirtualAlloc call in GC_win32_get_mem
returns zero.  This ultimately causes an abort with the "Too many heap
sections" condition.

I was wondering whether there was any reason the canonical code could
not be changed so that it only does the:

   GC_heap_bases[GC_n_heap_bases++] = result;

if result is non zero? We have changed this is in our code, but at first
sight it looks like it might be the sort of change that would make
things better for everyone, in that there is more chance of the out of
memory callback function being called reliably rather than the program
ending abruptly.

Thanks,
Roger Osborn