[Gc] Illegal Instruction?

David Jones dej at inode.org
Wed Jan 9 05:10:46 PST 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 20:15, jim marshall wrote:
> HI,
>  I have a client using our product on a PowerPC system and when they
> start our program they get an Illegal Instruction error. The error is
> being 'caused' by the GC (version 6.8)
>
> Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
> #0  GC_set_warn_proc (p=0xff03144 <GCWarnProc>)
>     at ./include/private/gc_locks.h:177
> 177     ./include/private/gc_locks.h: No such file or directory.
>         in ./include/private/gc_locks.h

Really dumb off-the-side guess (I haven't looked at any code):

Given that the fail is in "gc_locks" and might be related to locking, perhaps
the PPC locking code uses lwarx/stwcx. which are the standard PowerPC
instructions for atomic operations.

However, not all PPC architectures support these since the underlying bus may
not support atomic operations, and those that don't will take a program error
upon executing them.  Kaboom.