[Gc] Re: Desperately needing GC 7.1

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Thu Jan 10 20:59:08 PST 2008

In the interest of making available a GC7.1 asap, I generated a
gc-7.1alpha2.  As far as I know, this is in pretty good shape.
However, it needs more testing on a variety of platforms.  I'd
appreciate some more help in doing so.  This is your chance to make
sure it works on your favorite platform before 7.1 is released!

You can get the tar file from the usual place, i.e.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc-7.1alpha2.tar.gz

The CVS repository should also have a corresponding tag.  My convention
for 7.1+ is that alphaN for N odd is an unreleased CVS version, and
the even version(s) correspond to released snapshots.

In the absence of major problems, I would like to aim for a 7.1
release by early next week.

7.1alpha2 works around the MacOS10.5 problem by disabling parallel-mark
on the platform and adding a FIXME comment in what I think is the
problem spot.  Clearly this needs a better solution, though perhaps
not in time for 7.1.