[Gc] Re: Desperately needing GC 7.1

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Thu Jan 24 21:26:08 PST 2008

I'm generally planning to maintain Makefile.direct.  I also tend to
use it for testing on slow machines.

The problem is that occasionally some features are very hard to test
for without autoconf.  The MacOSX issue you point out is one of those,
IIRC.  In those cases, my inclination is to have Makefile.direct
assume the most common case (sometimes defined to be the one that
applies on my machine :-) ) and have configure.ac do something
more generally correct.

This does mean that I'm still in favor of patches that replace autoconf
tests with macro tests when that's possible without making a complete
mess of things.

Hans