[Gc] Re: Desperately needing GC 7.1

Manuel.Serrano at sophia.inria.fr Manuel.Serrano at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Jan 24 22:04:48 PST 2008

Hello Hans,

> I'm generally planning to maintain Makefile.direct.  I also tend to
> use it for testing on slow machines.
Great. I'm glad to read that.

> The problem is that occasionally some features are very hard to test
> for without autoconf.  The MacOSX issue you point out is one of those,
> IIRC.  In those cases, my inclination is to have Makefile.direct
> assume the most common case (sometimes defined to be the one that
> applies on my machine :-) ) and have configure.ac do something
> more generally correct.
I understand that. I'm facing something similar with Bigloo. The tough problems
never occurred on x32 intel Linux box (i.e., the platform I'm personally
using).

> This does mean that I'm still in favor of patches that replace autoconf
> tests with macro tests when that's possible without making a complete
> mess of things.
That's actually fine by me. In the future, I will pay attention to this.
If I'm able to provide with CPP macros, I will.

Thanks again.

--
Manuel