[Gc] GC_allochblk_nth bug

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Mon Mar 3 09:16:57 PST 2008

Hello Roger,

RO> (especially that code which is in third party libraries). We have found
RO> (by dumping Windows heaps) that GC often can't get a large chunk (up to
RO> 400-500Mb) of the address space because one of the heaps has reserved
RO> (but not committed) that region of the address space already. This can

Are you trying to do this on a 32bit Windows?

I remember Hans answer to this in the past was: If your memory
usage is so high you whould move to 64bit. And i agree with it, after
running a few stress tests with highly backlinked data i have set my
limit to 512MB. If my program needs so much then i will move
over to 64 bit memory.

If every libary is using the msvcrt.dll you might be able to use API
hooking to redirect every malloc to a gc_malloc call but i'm not sure
if this is such a good idea. Remember that you might get lots of
false positives making everything worse.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com