[Gc] mips support broken in gc-7.x

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue May 6 15:03:20 PDT 2008

Looking at the code, you are clearly correct.  I  had largely forgotten about that problem.  We need at least minimal atomic_ops support for mips.  If someone can adapt, for example, cris.h in the atomic_ops-1.2 part of the tree, that should be sufficient for at least basic functionality.  I might be able to try, but I'm not sure I still have access to a machine on which I can test.

There is a bit of a complication here in that it's hard to do this really correctly, we need an accurate description of the MIPS memory consistency model.  My understanding is that that's currently more dependent on the individual chip vendor than some of us would like.  I have some idea what it should be for old SGI machines, but I suspect that's no longer the primary concern here.  I haven't checked on this in a while, so things may be better now.

Hans