[Gc] sparc patch

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Oct 25 22:32:09 PDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Petr Kraj?a wrote:

> I really appreciate Rex's patch. I am using patch like this for a long
> time and it works fine for me. Patch against current tree is attached.
Thanks.  I put this version into my tree, and expect to check it in
shortly.

> Btw. I'm using GC on SPARC even with THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC option turned on
> and I think it may be turned on by default, but I don't know how to test
> if it works correctly.
I would expect that it works correctly.  You should see an appreciable
performance difference for a test program that just allocates and drops
objects in a tight loop, especially in multiple threads.  Turning
this on replaces GC_malloc with a completely different implementation.
Since it doesn't crash, you're probably OK.  And there's no fundamental
reason it shouldn't work on sparc linux, aside from possibly the very
intermittent bug some others are reporting on X86.

Hans