Re: [Gc] patch for (single)threaded MSWIN

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sun Oct 26 05:12:27 PST 2008

Hi!

"Jack Andrews" <effbiae at gmail.com> wrote:

> this gets gctest going.

Your are using too outdated version of GC - use either gc7.1 or, better, gc7.2a1 (from CVS). Among other changes, gc7.2a1 has an advantage over gc7.1 for single-threaded MinGW - it uses GetWriteWatch() instead of catching SEGVs in the incremental mode.

Anyway, I'm using mingw single-thread builds since GC v7 in a real app with nearly 1GB heap and I don't observe any trouble with it.
I'm, personally, compiling GC (for mingw) with options: -c -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-uninitialized -DALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS -DNO_DEBUGGING -DLARGE_CONFIG -DDONT_USE_USER32_DLL -I.\include

I've looked thru Your patch and see two changes:
- removal of (unnecessary in single-threaded env) GC_write_cs (and its [de]initialization) in misc.c - thanks, I've slightly changed it and posted the patch (against the current (or nearly current) CVS);
- removal of the above in the test.c - I don't think it's worth doing (it's just a test) and runs ok even with it (though, I agree it useless unless multi-threaded).

Bye.