[Gc] I/O issues

Nicolas Cannasse ncannasse at motion-twin.com
Mon Sep 8 02:40:41 PDT 2008

Hello,

Sorry for the multiple messages recently, we could fix a lot of things
thanks to the help of the people on the list.

We are still experiencing one last issue, which is related to I/O functions.

In some rare cases, two of our threads get blocked in a I/O function
(either recv() , fread() , or __read_nocancel()). The two threads are
usually unrelated - one can be a MYSQL response beeing read while the
other is reading a file - but they get blocked at the same time. Seems
like a deadlock to me.

I wonder is there are some issues with multithreading + linux IO + gc
signals. Even if the EINTR return values would not be handled
everywhere, I guess it should still cause an error and not cause the
threads to block.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,
Nicolas