[Gc] Unregistering the main thread

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Sep 15 12:09:57 PDT 2008

Hello,

Guile has an API that allows a program to specify that a given thread is
not going to cooperate for GC for some time.  This is useful, e.g., when
a thread enters a blocking system call and doesn't want to prevent other
threads from allocating memory or collecting garbage while it's blocked:

  scm_without_guile (the_function_that_blocks, NULL);

On the port of Guile to BDW-GC, I implement it using
`GC_unregister_my_thread ()' and `GC_register_my_thread ()'.  However,
it appears that the main thread cannot be unregistered.

What is the main thread supposed to do when it enters, say, a blocking
system call and may not be able to cooperate for GC for a while?

Thanks,
Ludovic.