[Gc] Workaround for problems with GetWriteWatch and fix for GC_get_heap_size/bytes_free values on unmapping

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Sat Aug 1 11:49:13 PDT 2009

Thanks.

> From:  Ivan Maidanski
>
> 1. MPROTECT_VDB only. As in some cases on Win32 the
> exception-based approach of incremental collection may work
> better than GetWriteWatch-based one then there should be a
> way to select the one. So, GC_PREFER_MPROTECT_VDB macro and
> GC_USE_GETWRITEWATCH environment variable are introduced.
This part looks good to me.

> 2. The values returned by GC_get_heap_size() and
> GC_get_free_bytes() if USE_MUNMAP. If the memory is unmapped
> (returned to the OS) then the values indicating the current
> heap size and the free memory size should be updated
> accordingly (otherwise, the total heap size of several
> applications running on a system may become larger than the
> system virtual memory size, and the memory considered as
> "free" by one application may be, in fact, in use by another one).
This worries me a bit, though I don't immediately see anything that would break.  The problem is that both GC_large_free_bytes and GC_heapsize now mean somewhat different things depending on whether we're unmapping memory.  Up until now, unmapping memory was only an optimization that didn't much affect the rest of the collector logic.  Unmapped memory was still considered to be part of the large object free list, and part of the heap.  Since these variables are used in some performance heusristics, we now have to convince ourselves that they make sense in both scnearios.

If the underlying problem here is the values we're reporting back to the user, does it make more sense to just keep track of the total amount of unmapped memory in a separate variable, and subtract it in GC_get_heap_size and GC_get_free_bytes, leaving the internals alone?  That strikes me as safer and easier to maintain.  Plus we have more information for debugging.

Hans