[Gc] gc on windows

Henning Makholm makholm at octoshape.com
Fri Aug 14 07:06:40 PDT 2009

Jack Andrews writes:

> now i'm wondering what the best configuration is.  i'm
> writing a dll and so i wonder if i should build a dll
> (gc.dll) that my dll loads, or whether it's better to
> create a static lib and have my dll link to that?

That probably depends more on your deployment scenario
than on the GC itself. It is always risky to have a
generally useful DLL depend on other DLLs (except ones
that come with the OS or have really rock solid
version management). Linking statically is by far the
easiest and safest. There's a space cost, of course, but
only in cases where the GC code could be shared in RAM
-- that is, exactly when you would risk weird versioning
trouble by going with a DLL.

--
Henning Makholm
Octoshape ApS