[Gc] Re: Partially scanning a VM's call stack

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:46:24 PDT 2009

2009/8/19 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
>> This looks like the easiest solution.  OTOH `GC_gcj_malloc ()' appears
>> to be undocumented, so I'd rather go for GC_new_kind + GC_MAKE_PROC.
>
> It's public (exported from gc_gcj.h). It's used in GCC/GCJ (and Mono AFAIK) projects.

The fact that something is exported in a header and commented in the
mailing list does not make it look like a stable feature of the
garbage collector. In particular, I can barely gather how those
descriptors work from your emails.

If the GCJ methods for collection and allocation are useful, supported
and with a stable interface, then it should be documented somewhere by
the library. Otherwise it is hard for non-GCJ/GCC developers
(including myself) to even figure out what the benefits and proper
ways of using it are, or whether they will survive a future change of
mood of Mono/GCJ developers :-)

Indeed it would be nice for the boehm-gc project to have a wiki where
uses of the garbage collector and techniques are documented, if not by
the developers, at least by skilled users. Developers could then pass
by and sanctify those documents.

Just my 2c, talking as a long time user who had (and has) a hard time
figuring out optimal ways to use this otherwise wonderful library.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)