[Gc] Re: Partially scanning a VM's call stack

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Aug 20 05:55:13 PDT 2009

Hi,

"Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> writes:

> The GC_init_gcj_malloc interface could be a bit better documented.

Yes, that would be appreciated.  Perhaps it could be mentioned in
"gcinterface.html" as well?

> If the stacks can be dynamically allocated, I would personally
> address this problem directly with a custom mark proc.

I finally took this route.

I run a couple of benchmarks with and without "precise stack scanning".
The impact on heap usage and execution time appears to be quite small.
Detailed results are available at:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/9164

Is anyone aware of similar experiments?  It'd be nice to see if there
are situations where it really matters.

Thanks,
Ludo'.