[Gc] Re: libgcj missing symbol __data_start

BGB cr88192 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:36:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com>
To: "BGB" <cr88192 at hotmail.com>; "Andreas Krebbel"
<krebbel at linux.vnet.ibm.com>; "Andrew Haley" <aph at redhat.com>
Cc: <gc at linux.hpl.hp.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:42 PM
Subject: RE: libgcj missing symbol __data_start

<--
I think this is essentially the same approach the collector currently takes
when it uses dl_iterate_phdr on Linux.  It would probably make sense to do
this on Windows if it doesn't make the GC library significantly harder to
install or use.

Hans
-->

shouldn't be too problematic...

AFAIK, ToolHelp / Tool Help is a standard part of the Windows API (and the
DLL's come with Windows).

there are some other libs (such as DbgHelp), which provide some useful
features (such as the ability to do reverse symbol lookups, ...), but which
depend on DLL's which don't come by default with Windows...

however, I guess one can verify if ToolHelp infact comes by default with
Windows, and is available on relevant compilers (MinGW, Cygwin, ...). (it is
available on MSVC, I know this much...).

checking the help system:
ToolHelp is part of Kernel32.dll, and is available on W2K and newer (2K, XP,
2003, Vista, 2008, Win7). so, I guess the main issue is if 9X compatibility
is still important...

or such...