Re: [Gc] Cmake and contribution model

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Fri Dec 11 23:04:52 PST 2009

Hi!
Nicola Brisotto <nicolabrisotto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was reading some post on this mailing list about cmake. I think it could be really interesting to support this building tool. It has generators for a lot of IDE and it run smoothly on Win, OSX and Linux.
> I saw that there are some patch for cmake in the mailing list but it's hard to understand on which version I can be apply them.

As you might see on the ML (http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc&query=cmake), there are 2 persons tried to add cmake support:
- Jack Andrews (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/2439/);
- Lloyd Sargent (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/3310).
The former work is roughly for v7.1 and the latter is, somewhat, quick and dirty.

So, it would be good if you merge these 2 pieces and contribute...

I think it would be good to add some cmake support even before v7.2 release.

Note: the patch should be produced by "diff -ruN".

> So my real question is: why don't you move to git?
> A lot of open-source project are using git, it enable an easier contribution model. Give a look at gitorious.org, people can branch and then send you a merge request and you don't need patch anymore.
> There are script that help to import a cvs repository. I'm not an expert of cvs but I could help you to move to git.

IMHO, git is a tool not an aim, so while there is a small group of people contributing to the project, it's not, probably, forth moving to git. (At the mean time, recently we have a problem with a CVS folder renaming which we wouldn't have if the project had already been git'ed.)

> Best regards,
> Nicola Brisotto

Bye.