Re[2]: [Gc] Cmake and contribution model

Ivan Maidanski ivmai at mail.ru
Sat Dec 12 08:02:12 PST 2009

Hi!
Nicola Brisotto <nicolabrisotto at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2009, at 7:04 , Ivan Maidanski wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > Nicola Brisotto <nicolabrisotto at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I was reading some post on this mailing list about cmake. I think it could be really interesting to support this building tool. It has generators for a lot of IDE and it run smoothly on Win, OSX and Linux.
> >> I saw that there are some patch for cmake in the mailing list but it's hard to understand on which version I can be apply them.
> >
> > As you might see on the ML (http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc&query=cmake), there are 2 persons tried to add cmake support:
> > - Jack Andrews (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/2439/);
> > - Lloyd Sargent (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/3310).
> > The former work is roughly for v7.1 and the latter is, somewhat, quick and dirty.
> >
> > So, it would be good if you merge these 2 pieces and contribute...
> >
> > I think it would be good to add some cmake support even before v7.2 release.
> >
> > Note: the patch should be produced by "diff -ruN".

It's also preferred to make patches against the latest CVS snapshot.

> I could try to help with the port but I need some help to test the patch. Are there any test I can run? I can try to run them on windows and linux.

Hmm. A port to which platform? I think you mean you are going to add cmake support to BDWGC (or, at least, to upgrade the above listed initiatives). That would be good (at least because, IMHO, automate building for Win32 is less well-suppored compared to Unix).

All tests are in "tests" folder (the major test is tests/test.c). The macros (for tuning) are described in docs/Readme.macros.

Bye.