[Gc] Re: Cmake and contribution model

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sat Dec 12 10:19:12 PST 2009

Hi,

Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru> writes:

> I think it would be good to add some cmake support even before v7.2
> release.

FWIW I think Autoconf + Automake + Libtool (aka. “autotools”) and CMake
aren’t interchangeable.  The autotools are designed to provide a build
system that solely depends on a POSIX shell and an arbitrary ‘make’
implementation; conversely, the CMake build system requires that ‘cmake’
be available.  In addition, the user interface of ‘cmake’ is way
different from that of ‘configure’.

Thus, I think such a decision should not be taken lightly; I’m
personally in favor of keeping an autotool-based system.

Thanks,
Ludo’.