[Gc] Re: Cmake and contribution model

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Dec 12 18:30:30 PST 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Ivan Maidanski wrote:

> I don't think I understand you correctly but I meant "add cmake support"
> not replace. We have no "makefile" in the distribution, so we have empty
> intersection of these 2 build systems, right?

That would also be my strong preference.  It would add yet another set
of build scripts to maintain, but it still seems to be worthwhile.  I
suspect the only reason it's not already in the tree is lack of time.  I
wouldn't objecrt to adding cmake support for 7.2 if it only adds files,
and thus doesn't risk breaking anything.

I'd probably favor sticking with cvs for now, since I think that's what
most of us are familiar with.  (Svn seems close enough for experience to
mostly carry over.)  If we did want to switch to a git-like model, I've
also heard arguments for Mercurial recently, but don't have any experience
with it.