[Gc] Visual Studio 2005 / 2008 Multithreaded Issue

Gregory Peele ARA/CFD gpeele at ara.com
Wed Feb 18 12:10:02 PST 2009

Another issue with libgc 7.1, this time on Windows using Visual Studio
2005 and 2008.

After dealing with my previous issue on Linux, I then discovered another
issue in my Windows Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 builds.  When GC_THREADS
is defined, gc.h attempts to redefine all of the Win32 thread creation /
manipulation functions.  However, it only includes <window.h>, which on
these compilers does not pick up some of the thread creation functions
from <process.h>.  This causes very nasty compilation issues with code
that does include <process.h>.  Adding a <process.h> include to that
section of gc.h appears to solve the problem.  I'm not aware if this
file is provided by older compilers, so the include may need to be
conditional on appropriate _MSC_VER.

Just a thought - why not have a win32_redirects.h similar to
pthread_redirects.h so it's more obvious this is being done?

Thanks,

Gregory Peele, Jr.

Applied Research Associates, Inc.