[Gc] Questions on boehm-gc, fragmentation, and low memory resources

Yann Frach yann.frach at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:12:12 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm working on embedded devices with low memory and I'm worried about
heap fragmentation
in a non-moving GC like boehm-gc. I have a few questions.
- Does boehm-gc do something to avoid/minimize fragmentation ?
- Is there any "moving"/compacting implementation of boehm gc, and if
not, would it be possible ?
- For people with experience in the embedded context, is it worthwhile to use
boehm-gc and how do you make it work as good as possible ?

Thanks for your thoughts (and possibly pointers on more information) on this.
Regards,

YF