[Gc] RE: What does "Finalization cycle" mean?

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Jun 2 11:28:13 PDT 2009

This means that by following a chain of one or more pointers from a finalizable object f, you can get back to f.  It means that f''s finalizer would unavoidably see a partially finalized object if it were run, and thus isn't.

You may be calling GC_register_finalizer where you meant GC_register_finalizer_ignore_self, and thus getting caught by pointers from the object to itself, e.g. to implement C++ multiple inheritance.

Hans