[Gc] Patches resubmission

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Jun 8 21:36:55 PDT 2009

> From: Ivan Maidanski
> Hi!
>
> "Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:
> > Thank you.  Committed.
> >
> > I'm not sure about the %p in WARN calls, since the corresponding
> > argument is not a pointer anymore at that point.  That may
> eventually start generating warnings?  I checked in the whole
> patch, but I'm not sure those few bits were an improvement.
>
> Not clear. Is "start" no longer a pointer in your copy of gc
> for this fragment:
>             WARN(
>               "GC_gww_read_dirty unexpectedly failed at %p: "
>               "Falling back to marking all pages dirty\n", start);
>

> > Hans
>
> Bye.

The problem is that this ends up calling GC_default_worn_proc (or a replacement), whose second argument is a GC_word.  Thus the format string is used as a GC_err_printf format, with a GC_word second argument.  Since GC_word has to be the same size as a pointer, this is not a disaster.  But I'm not sure which is better.