[Gc] Per-thread stack requirements for GC?

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Thu Jun 18 16:40:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Talbot, George<Gtalbot at locuspharma.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Technical question-I have a program using the GC with many threads, and am trying to reduce my memory consumption by reducing the thread stack size from 2MB on my Linux machine to something smaller.
>
> Does anybody have a handle on the stack-size requirements of the BDW collector so that I can safely size my thread stacks?

The collector uses very little stack because all the "recursion"
during tracing is handled explicitly using a work queue.

I was using it on mobile phones and the stack use was on the order of 1 KB.

I'd made a few modifications to the code, mostly to eliminate global
variables (which weren't supported on the platform). I don't recall
whether there were changes to reduce stack use, but I don't think so.