[Gc] Per-thread stack requirements for GC?

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Fri Jun 19 01:00:47 PDT 2009

2009/6/19 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:
>> I'd made a few modifications to the code, mostly to eliminate global
>> variables (which weren't supported on the platform). I don't recall
>> whether there were changes to reduce stack use, but I don't think so.
>
> You mean You've added setters/getters for these vars, don't you?

No I don't.

My changes (which were local and Hans didn't want, quite
understandably) involved things such as throwing "struct
allchblk_globals_1 {" or similar into the source code all over the
place, making an overall struct to hold instances of all the other
structs, allocating an instance of that overall struct at program
startup, and making a whole lot of macros of the form "#define
GC_use_entire_heap
(GLOBALS_PTR->allchblk_globals_1.GC_use_entire_heap)".  GLOBALS_PTR
was defined differently on different platforms, sometimes as an API
call to get the application object, or perhaps as a dedicated register
in e.g. ARM ADS 1.2.