[Gc] Win64 GCC support

NightStrike nightstrike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:10:18 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Petter Urkedal<urkedal at nbi.dk> wrote:
> On 2009-06-20, NightStrike wrote:
>> 2009/6/19 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
>> > I guess current configure won't work for mingw-w64.
>> >
>> > The problem (You are seeing) with malloc.x is:
>> > 1. mingw-w64 defines _DLL (same as VC++ but not MinGW),
>> > 2. configure should supply -DGC_NOT_DLL (but don't),
>> > 3. gc_config_macros.h defines GC_API as dll_import (as _DLL present but no GC_BUILD and no GC_NOT_DLL),
>> > 4. GC_arrays is semi-private (as used by test) and tagged with GC_API,
>> > 5. you get "initializer element is not const" error (is this because of .rel.ro missing on Win32?)
>> >
>> > Are there any volunteers to get configure up-to-date and working on GNU/Win32 systems?
>>
>> You guys are using automake, so it should be very easy to do this.
>> Unfortunately, it appears to be an old version of automake, one that
>> I've never even used before.  Are you averse to stepping up to a more
>> recent version?  1.11 is current.
>
> I normally refresh the generated files with "autoreconf -vif" when
> building from CVS, and the current HEAD works for me with Automake-1.10.
> There is, however, a number of warnings which can be silenced by
> removing the outdated libtool.m4.  I've suggested a pending correction
> (the last two posts):

The first line of Makefile.in is:
# Makefile.in generated by automake 1.9.6 from Makefile.am.

So it must not have been committed if you built it from 1.10.

> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/day=20090516
>
> Your seem to be familiar with Automake, so you probably know what to do,
> but since bdwgc takes a mostly architecture-based approach, my bet is:
>
>  * Check how ./config.guess identifies the platform.
>  * Add a $host case in configure.ac.
>  * Add the corresponding AC_DEFINEs.

Going the AC_DEFINE route suggests that configure will handle the
definitions and put the #defines in config.h.  However, you guys don't
use config.h.  Do you instead use the DEFS variable, or something?
This would also fall into autoconf realm, which is in a weird state.
You seem to be generating configure with 2.61, but you have 2.53
listed in your PREREQ line:

# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61 for gc 7.2alpha3.
AC_PREREQ(2.53)

> Doing this, it's unlikely that you'll introduce anything that doesn't
> also work on older Automake.  I don't have a Windows machine, so I'll
> have to pass on the actual work.

I can do the work, as it should be very easy.  It's just that I want
to be clear how you guys want it done.  Going the AC_DEFINE route is
handling it all at configure time instead of make time.  Both work
fine, just tell me which to do and I'll do it.