[Gc] Win64 GCC support

NightStrike nightstrike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:43:11 PDT 2009

2009/6/21 Ivan Maidanski <ivmai at mail.ru>:
> Hi!
>
> NightStrike <nightstrike at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Your seem to be familiar with Automake, so you probably know what to do,
>> > but since bdwgc takes a mostly architecture-based approach, my bet is:
>> >
>> >  * Check how ./config.guess identifies the platform.
>> >  * Add a $host case in configure.ac.
>> >  * Add the corresponding AC_DEFINEs.
>>
>> Going the AC_DEFINE route suggests that configure will handle the
>> definitions and put the #defines in config.h.  However, you guys don't
>> use config.h.  Do you instead use the DEFS variable, or something?
>> This would also fall into autoconf realm, which is in a weird state.
>> You seem to be generating configure with 2.61, but you have 2.53
>> listed in your PREREQ line:
>>
>> # Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.61 for gc 7.2alpha3.
>> AC_PREREQ(2.53)
>>

>> > Doing this, it's unlikely that you'll introduce anything that doesn't
>> > also work on older Automake.  I don't have a Windows machine, so I'll
>> > have to pass on the actual work.
>>
>> I can do the work, as it should be very easy.  It's just that I want
>> to be clear how you guys want it done.  Going the AC_DEFINE route is
>> handling it all at configure time instead of make time.  Both work
>> fine, just tell me which to do and I'll do it.
>
> If I understood correctly the question, we handling it at configure time (as we pass the desired --enable/disable-XXX to configure).

Well, nothing's being enabled or disabled.  It's more like;

AS_CASE([$host],
  [x86_64-w64-mingw*],[AC_DEFINE([GC_NOT_DLL])])

Putting that in configure.ac will create a new #define GC_NOT_DLL when
the host is mingw-w64's win64 host crt.

Doing it at make time would involve setting the AM_CFLAGS variable in
Makefile.am based on some condition.  Either one works.  In fact, you
can commit those two lines there to configure.ac right now and
regenerate it if you want.