[Gc] A few higher level collector questions.

Talbot, George Gtalbot at locuspharma.com
Tue May 12 07:13:51 PDT 2009

Hey folks,

I have a few "higher level" questions about the collector.

* How does this collector figure into the eventual addition of GC to a future C++ language standard?  Is anyone working on that right now?

* Does anyone have any interest or experience in using what will be the eventual GCC plugin architecture to emit the necessary type information for the collector to use the type interface automatically for C++ programs?

* I like the GC_generate_random_backtrace() a lot.  One of the things I thought might be interesting would be a version that generates a large amount of backtraces and can output perhaps a histogram of memory usage based on call site in the calling program and possibly some sort of aggregate dependency graphs of how particular call sites' memory are referenced.  Has anyone already done something like this, before I go and try to do it?

--
George T. Talbot
<gtalbot at locuspharma.com>