[Gc] GC_remap fails with ENOMEM on Linux with large (64K) pages.

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed May 27 15:47:17 PDT 2009

I don't see a lot of changes directly associated with this code.  GC_remap still uses mprotect instead of mmap to avoid an accidental intervening mapping, at least in the CVS version.  And that seems to be the same in Mono.  It would be helpful to understand exactly why mprotect is failing, i.e. what is mapped at that address when it fails.  Can you find out from /proc/.../maps?  ENOMEM seems particularly uninformative here.

As Zoltan points out, the Mono source tree has diverged a bit, even aside from using an older version.  But I'm not sure that any of this code has been that well exercised with 64K pages, so the problem may also exist in our versions.