[Gc] What is the overhead of -DALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS?

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Nov 18 13:00:37 PST 2009

I think most experience has been that in the expected case it doesn't make much difference.  But the probability of occasional misbehavior (i.e. significant retention of non-garbage) is significantly higher with -DALL_INTERIOR_POINTERS.  Note that you also have GC_register_displacement(), which may be a better way to inform the collector about peculiarities of your language implementation.  Or not.  It really depends.